Photos from ALA, the Allied Media Conference, Chicago Critical Mass, and the zine reading at Quimby's. You may have to allow pop-ups to view them properly. DO NOT order photos from Shutterfly unless you really want to. E-mail radrefjenna at yahoo for full size digital copies.
Radical Reference activities at the ALA Annual Conference in Chicago, June 2005:
- FRIDAY, June 24 -- 5:30 Critical Mass. Be sure to rent a bicycle for the conference.
- SATURDAY, June 25 -- 1:30-3:30 Jenna Freedman will serve on the panel for "Fostering Civic Engagement: Models and Practices for All Libraries." Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers, Ontario Room.
- SATURDAY, June 25 -- 6:30-9:00 meeting and dinner (pizza ordered in). The Chicago Temple. Lots of activist meetings and events take place in churches. Don't freak out.
- MONDAY, June 27 -- 2-4pm Skill-sharing workshops at the Counterpoise booth (#2745) in the Exhibit Hall. Sessions include: Shinjoung Yeo on Amplifying voices at the margins at 2pm, Jessamyn West doing "Oh No He Didn't! Rumor Control As an Essential Part of Event Based Radical Reference," at 2:30 Kevin O'Kelly taking on Cop Speak for activists: translating police code, at 3pm and at 3:30 Jonathan Harwell presenting "Wouldn't you like to be a Blogger, Too?"
- MONDAY, June 27 -- 7pm Library Zines reading to benefit the Alternative Press Center, Quimby's. 1854 W. North Ave. / tel. 773/342-0910. Zines to be read from include America?, I Dreamed I Was Assertive, Flotation Device, Lower East Side Librarian, and Riot Librarrrian.
You might also look at the unofficial conference wiki.
Sleep cheap--stay at the youth hostel. Group code ALA.
Radical Reference's Boston Collective put together an Alternative Guide to Boston for the Midwinter Conference there in January 2005. We also had a meeting while we were there and sponsored three skill-sharing workshops.
Contact info at radicalreference dot info for more, um, info.