Books I read in 2016, in reverse chronological order according to when I read them, favorites starred.
I made it past my goal of 60 books, and then basically didn't finish anything in all of December. Writing up this list I saw a lot of books that now seem like they weren't worth the time, or now are barely worth remembering--somehow I seem to have ended up finshing things this year that I might have let go in other years. But I also read some really great stuff, and it was great to get so many things read this year. I didn't make it to my goal of 25 books by women of color, but I did read 16, and setting that goal did make me really think carefully about how I cho(o)se what to read, what is most promoted at large, and what is suggested to me/in my filter bubble.
- Behold the Dreamers / Mbue *
- Train Your Dog Positively / Stillwell
- Both Ways is the Only Way I Want It / Meloy *
- The Everything New Puppy Book / DeVito
- Dear Sister / Factora-Borchers
- Asking for It / Harding *
- Baise-Moi / Despentes
- Turning Japanese / MariNaomi
- Post-Digital Print / Ludovico
- The Century of Artists' Books / Drucker (re-read)
- A Child of Books / Jeffers *
- Americanah / Adichie *
- King Kong Theory / Despentes *
- The Promise of Happiness / Ahmed